In 1873, near the corner of State Street, John E. Houston opened a furniture store and undertaking company. In 1898, John moved to East Grand Avenue and discontinued the furniture business. In 1910, the cost of a funeral was $79.00
Before 1912, the first actual mortuary in Beloit with a public chapel was built by the Houston-Rosman Undertaking Company. In 1915, Rolf Rosman who had been with the firm since 1904 became the sole owner after the death of John Houston. In the same year, the firm introduced the first motor driven funeral coach in Beloit.
As history records show, Rolf Rosman was a highly talented and a well regarded baseball player. In fact, Rolf was recruited by many pro and semi pro teams. It was also very common to see Rolf involved with Beloit’s annual Memorial Day Parade. Rolf was parade marshal for 30 consecutive years.
In 1918, both J.E. Kinzer joined the firm as Rosman’s partner, and Wallace Uehling became an employee.
Upon the passing of Kinzer and Rosman in the 1930’s, Mrs. Kinzer owned and operated the funeral home. After her death in 1965, her son Phillip became a partner and in 1968 changed from a partnership to a corporation. It was in the mid 60’s that RUK moved to the present day Cranston Road location.
Today, the Rosman Uehling Kinzer name and tradition continue thanks to Lance and Jeanne Bifulk who purchased the funeral home in 2002.
“It has indeed been over a century of progress for our firm” states Lance Bifulk. Bifulk continues, “133 years is a very long time and we’re proud to carry on the tradition established by Rolf Rosman, Wallace Uehling, and J.E. Kinzer. You can be certain that Jeannie and I will continue progressing and improving for as long as we’re privileged to serve”.
One thing has remained consistent since 1873- our family members are on a twenty four hour, seven day a week basis – here to serve your family at a time of need. Rosman, Uehling Kinzer Funeral Home and Cremation Services is strongly committed to preserve our past, present and future.